Monday, February 24, 2014

We've Got a Musing and a Gem... and a Silly Kitty!

So I've been a bit busy lately. Between work, weird work occurrences, physical therapy for my hip bursitis, and just typical life busyness (this word looks weird), I feel like one of those poor beheaded chickens. It doesn't help that the weather has been rather wonky... tornado warnings in February! And I have to say, it's super weird and kind of scary not having cable during a storm (we canceled a while back because it's pricy, and we have yet to get the stuff to make the local stations work). I miss turning up the volume to extra loud so I can hear Jim and Nick (the weather dudes, obviously) while I hide away in the bathroom with the kitties. Thankfully, I'm safe as are Maggie and Purrcy and the husband.


Unless Purrcy decides to get more daring. Although, I'm not sure how much further he can take it, considering he's sprained his paw in a toaster, tried to put his healed paw in the hot toaster, got stuck behind the refrigerator because I guess he thought jumping behind it was a good idea even though we weren't home, and he had no escape plan, fallen from the top of our refrigerator into a pile of glass shards created from his fall, and whatever else he does while we're sleeping. But I digress.

Despite a jam-packed schedule, I managed to do some baking. Since I'd had such a terrible run of bad luck with new recipes, I tried out a Martha Stewart recipe because Martha has never steered me in the wrong direction.

I went with her Chunky Peanut, Chocolate, and Cinnamon cookies... but I omitted the peanuts. Still delicious! So how to make these bad boys and girls?

Ingredients:
  •  2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter (I used vegan butter because I'm lactose intolerant)
  • 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 sugar 
  • 2 large eggs (Use an egg replacer to make it vegan if you want because my chocolate chips are vegan so I assume it would work out just dandy!) 
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips 
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to about 350. I say about because you all know I have a shitty oven. 
  2. "Whisk" together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. That's right. I whisked it... with a fork. I'm not Martha!
  3. Cream the butter and peanut butter together. Martha says to do it for two minutes. I just guessed. 
  4. Cream in the sugars. Again, Martha says to mix it for two minutes. I guessed! 
  5. Mix in the eggs and the vanilla (Note: Martha says to add the vanilla at the end with the chocolate chip cookies. That seemed strange to me becuase no other recipe has you do that, at least that I know of. So I added the vanilla at the "normal" time.).
  6. Gradually add in your flour mixture that you so gracefully whisked together. 
  7. Once combined, fold in your chocolate chips. 
  8. Refrigerate the dough for about fifteen minutes or until it's kind "firm."
  9. Scoop dough on to parchment paper lined baking sheets (seriously, screw oiling the pan anymore). 
  10. Bake for 10 to 13 minutes (I baked mine for 11 minutes, but I like a chewy cookie.).
  11. Enjoy! * 

 * I forgot to take a better picture of the cookies, and I'm too focused on eating them to take another picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment