Sunday, July 5, 2015

CSA Week 7

The week got away from me-- clearly. While I love when Jeff gets a day off work, it always throws my schedule off a bit. All the housekeeping and work items I'd normally get to just sort of get thrown aside out of excitement of spending time with him during "normal people" hours. Ah, the life of being a college instructor married to a newsie!


Moving on to our week 7 box... we got a lovely bunch of carrots, blueberries, beets, cabbage, a tomato, yellow squash, garlic, oregano, and some red lettuce.

One of the first things I made was a yeast risen carrot bread. I've made it before-- it's great for breakfast also makes for a good French toast.


The recipe I use doesn't have exact measurements for every ingredient-- namely the yeast and water. My bread turned out well, but I'm still working towards getting it just a touch lighter. Normally I would try out another recipe, but this one is among the healthier carrot breads I've seen. It also uses yeast which seems to be a rarity among carrot breads, at least as far as I've seen. I hate not posting a recipe, but I'd rather get it perfected with the best measurements first. 

The rest of our plans involved taco inspired meals as well as a more traditional dish using the left over kohlrabi and some of the squash and cabbage. 


We did a vegetarian take on crispy bacon covered cabbage wedges with a traditional German kohlrabi dish (I don't have a link because I did a quick Google search, and I just sort of picked and chose what I wanted from a handful of recipes-- it's basically kohlrabi in a white sauce with some spices), and summer squash casserole. We subbed in some liquid smoke for the worcestershire. We also made everything dairy free, but if you don't have an allergy or an intolerance, there's no need. If you are like me though, I recommend Tofutti for the casserole. Their sour cream and cream cheese are the best non-dairy substitutes I've found. Both have passed for real dairy to unknowing individuals! 

Our first taco-ish meal was inspired by The Pioneer Woman


We are all about getting some veg into our meals (strictly for health reasons!). So we topped her egg in a hole recipe with roasted and briefly sautéed beets (roasting them gets rid of the notorious "dirt-like" taste), sweet potatoes, a bit of cabbage for crunch, colby jack, and salsa. 

Later in the week we did a bit of mixing and matching to make zucchini, summer squash, and corn open-faced tacos (yes, I made that up) with an avocado chimichurri. 


I was a bit skeptical but hopeful. I knew the filling would be fine-- I'm a fan of squash, and I've never gotten a bad recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod. We didn't follow their recipe exactly, leaving out the avocado so we could try out an avocado based chimichurri. Despite loving everything we've tried from Cookie and Kate, I was worried because I've never been a huge avocado fan. I'm glad we went for it because it offered a bit of a texture difference as well a bit of kick.

Jeff and I cooked up pasta with our favorite red sauce too. We usually use dried oregano but the fresh was a nice change of pace. 

I'll try to stay on task next week with a new CSA post on Thursday or Friday. I'll also let you know when I have the carrot bread recipe perfected. For now, I'll see on Tuesday for Tuesdays with Maggie!

No comments:

Post a Comment