Monday, July 30, 2012

I'm Not An Olympian, But I'm Trying To Change The World...

In case you didn't already know this, I used to be that kid who wanted to go to the Olympics. I know. Who didn't? But I think I wanted more than most... not as much as those that actually go or even attempt to go, but I really, really, really, wanted to go. Alas it wasn't my fate. I was born into a family that couldn't afford it. I'm sure... actually I know my mom would have found a way to scrap up the cash for me to make my dream come true, but I think somewhere deep down in her supermom vat of knowledge, she knew I was never meant to be the next Shannon Miller. I'm neither blonde nor flexible.

Seriously though, I think she knew that life was not for me. I wasn't made to eat, sleep, and do gymnastics. I was made to eat, sleep, tumble, do homework, and on a rare occasion hang out with friends. She didn't want me to miss out on the simpler things in life... like cookies and boys and working in Lowe's Garden Center. I know all of that sounds lame compared to being an Olympian, but  I'm happy where I am right now... and I think competitive tumbling did enough damage to my body. I can't imagine having anymore problems than I do now.

Will I ever forget my dream? No. I will always reminisce about what could have been, but for now I'll just have to stick with being a college speech instructor, helping students shed their fears...


and a silly baker and blogger who hopes to help the world one local, organic carton of eggs, one local chicken, and  one t-shirt from Locally Grown Clothing Company at a time all while having no elbows! Okay so I do have elbows. I'm not sure I could have tumbled without them, at least not the way I did. Regardless, I'm a reminiscent gal who thinks you should think about where and who your food comes from... minus today's Velveeta incident. I don't think any of us want to know where it comes from. All I need to know is it's unfortunately delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment